Anxiety management with no money to purchase perscriptions

Post your questions about stress here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
raindrops

by raindrops on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Anxiety management with no money to purchase perscriptions

I have been out of work for several months due to the loss of 4 members of my family including my mother and father. More recently I learnt more bad news which I cannot disclose at this moment in time.
I cannot claim benefits and have been trying to secure another job, applying for over 100 applications which have not been successful. As the days/weeks/months go by I am in fear of losing my home.
Suffering from PST I have daily and nightly anxiety attacks. I was prescribed medication for this which helped but since losing my job I had to suddenly stop taking it because of my financial situation.
There is no point in consultations with the doctor any more because I was advised that they cannot help me because I cannot pay for the prescriptions. I tried to get financial help from the government since I have worked all my life until now and paid my taxes and insurance contributions but there has been no feedback so far.
I have no income and so cannot afford to purchase prescriptions until I secure another job.
I feel stuck and cannot move forward because in order to secure a job I need to stop the anxiety attacks.
Is there any advice you can give me to manage these attacks that don't include prescribed medicines.

Jayne Ellis

by Jayne Ellis on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Anxiety management with no money to purchase perscriptio

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a challenging time at the moment and I really hope things will improve for you very soon.

In the meantime, the things that you can do for yourself include:

Eating well, eat regularly and when you are anxious to avoid swinging your blood sugar with rapid-acting carbohydrates like sweets, pasta, white bread and white rice. Include lots of fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet and long-acting carbohydrates like porridge, brown bread, brown rice etc to give you a slow release fo sugar through the day. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol as they will make you feel worse. Drink plenty of water. Some foods contain natural antidepressants such as bananas, cherry tomatoes, nuts and seeds and dark chocolate to try these if you 're feeling low
Mind has a whole page on this https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... 7-AomhKg60

Take regular exercise, you don't need to go to the gym 20 mins a day of moderate exercise will really help, just going for a walk. You need to be going quick enough that you can talk but not sing!

Try and get enough sleep it makes such a difference, keep your bedroom 'gadget free' dark and cool to help you sleep. Have at least one day a week when you are unplugged from social media and don't watch the TV especially the news as it can make your anxiety worse.

These apps and websites are also helpful to help you relax

• 10% happier (app)
• Mindspace
• Heartfullness UK
• Headspace

I hope things get better for you very soon and some of the advice above is helpful, I wish you all the best
Jayne Ellis
Founder and Director - EF training

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ellis.php

2 posts