Struggling with stress belly

Post your questions about stress here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Jaybelevee

by Jaybelevee on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Struggling with stress belly

What is the best way to deal with stomach issues caused by stress im currently trying chamomile tea and gental yoga is there anything more i can do to calm myself down?

Jayne Ellis

by Jayne Ellis on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Re: Struggling with stress belly

Hi,

When you are stressed your digestive system doesn't work properly as in 'fight or flight' mode your body doesn't prioritise digestion so you need to get to the opposite state which is 'rest and digest'. Your 'off button' is your vagus nerve and this is activated by the following things:

Breathing exercises especially 'belly breathing' - which is why your yoga works and why meditation and mindfulness will also work. Have a look for some free online courses in both.

A quick belly breathing exercise is:
• Place bean bag or something similar on your belly
• Breathe in through your nose for a count of 7 (bean bag will rise just using your breath)
• Exhale through your nose for the count of 11 (bean bag will fall)
• Do this for 5 mins at a time
• It takes practice so don’t worry if it doesn’t work straight away
• If your mind goes ‘crazy’ just let the thought go and start again

Other things that turn it on are laughing and singing so, sing along to your favourite songs and watch a funny film or stand up comedy and you will find you feel better.

If you are really struggling to get to grips with your anxiety you may need to talk to your GP and be referred for some counselling so please go and speak to them if things don't improve.

Eat well and exercise regularly as this will also help you a lot.

Good luck I hope you find something that works for you.
Jayne Ellis
Founder and Director - EF training

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ellis.php

2 posts