Help please

Post your questions about stress here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
RosalindB

by RosalindB on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Help please

I am a 44 year old woman and I have been diagnosed over the years with the following;

Bipolar Affective Disorder with Frequent Depressive Episodes
Anxiety
Depression (on top of the Bipolar)

as well as several physical problems which limit my mobility a bit and give me pain most days.

I need to manage my stress. My Psychiatrist told me I'm "too sensitive" to the problems in my environment. Something is always going on around me which affects me adversely. I haven't slept regularly and well for 25 years, since I had kids. I am mostly anti-social, but one on one I am fine.

I have tried meditating, but have only ever managed it successfully twice. Once in a group and once alone in a stone circle in the Lake District. My mind won't shut up. It's always negative thinking, how situations can go wrong for me, etc.

What can I do to de-stress?

kingcradd

by kingcradd on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Re: Help please

Hi there,
I'm really sorry that you're in such a position! My mom was diagnosed with Bi Polar through Post Natal depression after she had me 37 years ago and she has been in and out of hospital for more time than I can recollect,has had electric shock therapy many times and has tried to harm herself on several occasions so I have somewhat of your condition and the tremendous impact it must have on you and your daily life - it's an incredibly frustrating downward spiral once your thoughts get on top of you. Have your GP or psychiatrist given you CBT or recommended it to you? Do you know of any Healthy Minds or support groups in your area that you could get into contact with? Exercise is also meant to be a great help in the form of Pilates, Yoga or swimming which however would be difficult with your mobility problems. My mom tends to write down everything that is on her mind onto paper (ie,what the negative thought/problem is and answer/resolution if there is one) and anything else that is making her anxious. Sorry I couldn't have been of any more use but here if you ever need to talk.
Take care
xx

RosalindB

by RosalindB on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. CBT has only just been recommended to me by the nurse conducting my yearly review. She didn't refer me for it, though I told her I thought it was a good idea. I keep meaning to make a GP appointment and get referred, but it's only me, so not an important issue, it can wait-that's how I feel.

I would love to be more active. 4 years ago I attended a community gym once a week. Now I don't even like walking too far because of the pain (moderate osteoarthritis in my sacroiliac joints, mild o-arthritis in my spine, 2 bulging discs & a slipped knee cap from my flat feet). But atm I don't even like leaving the house alone.

Jayne Ellis

by Jayne Ellis on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi,

I really feel for you it sounds like you have a lot to deal with I'm glad you have reached out on this forum for help many people don't have your courage.

I agree that CBT might work really well for you but while you are waiting for an appointment, there are a few things you can do for yourself.

Meditation is quite hard to do as you have discovered but mindfulness is a bit easier and there are several free or very reasonably priced courses you can sign up for online. The studies have shown that even just 10 minutes a day can reduce your anxiety levels. When you are stressed you are producing stress hormones that make you much more sensitive to what's called secondary stress, this is trauma and upset that is described to you or you witness. You will be very sensitive to things on the news for example. the way to help this is to bring those hormones down a bit and mindfulness helps to reset the levels back to closer to normal. Also, go unplugged once a week! Dont watch the news or TV that will make you feel stressed, instead go for comedies or light-hearted programmes without too much trauma and angst in them!

I found that a book called Depression The Curse of the Strong by Tim Cantopher really explained what is going on inside you mentally and physically better than any others I have read, give it a go.

Have you tried any of the apps that help you sleep, some play music others play sounds you have to listen to and identify, my favourite is the one with the thunderstorm on a lake, give them a go they can really help.

There's a DVD called Beginners Meditation and Mindful Stretching by Nadia Narin you could try as it combines gentle exercise which sounds like something you might benefit from with some relaxation.

The other thing to really watch is what you are eating as certain foods especially rapidly absorbed sugars can swing your mood and make you more anxious. Check out this page from the Mind website on food and mood its very helpful.
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... 8DBvWhKg60

I hope some of the above are useful and I wish you all the very best.
Jayne Ellis
Founder and Director - EF training

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ellis.php

Teyhou Smyth

by Teyhou Smyth on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Thank you for your question and sharing it with us.

The teenage years are often difficult and challenging ones for parents as teenagers make the transition into adulthood with changing hormones and develop into young adults. Teenagers will often test the boundaries which can be stressful for parents resulting in arguments and a disruptive household.

There are support groups focusing on parents with teenage children which can prove to be useful as well as parenting classes that may offer additional insight into teenagers. Sometimes a few sessions of family counseling may be helpful as well in changing the relational dynamic of the household.

The https://www.bacp.co.uk and https://www.mumsnet.com are also resources that offer further advice for parents.

I hope you find the information useful.
Teyhou Smyth
Registered Associate Marriage and Family Therapist and Registered Associate Professional Clinical Counselor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _smyth.php

5 posts