Returning to work after maternity leave

Post your questions about stress here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
emiedo92

by emiedo92 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Returning to work after maternity leave

I have returned to work after taking 8 months off on maternity leave. I have returned full time to a stressful job and am struggling with the feelings of guilt and maintaining a work life balance. Even though I have a supportive family and friends I find it hard to accept their help and was wondering if you had any tips on how I could accept their help without feeling guilty

Jayne Ellis

by Jayne Ellis on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: Returning to work after maternity leave

Hi,

Congratulations on becoming a Mum its great fun but opens up a world of guilt especially when you go back to work.

What you are experiencing is totally normal, every working Mum feels the same way. You feel like you need to be there for everyone all the time and it's really hard to accept help as it kind of makes you feel like you are not coping. Have you been on Mumsnet? You will find lots of other new Mums who feel the same way and lots of help and support.

Your family and friends want to help you so try and let them even if it's only for a short time, you need to have a bit of 'me time' as well so you can cope with this really challenging new role in your life. I bet when it's your turn to support your children when they become parents you will want to help too!

It will get easier to ask for help as time goes by, lean on your family and friends and seek out other new Mums to talk to so you know you are not alone feeling the way you do.

It's a very precious time when you are bringing up your children so try and enjoy it, it goes very quickly.

Good luck, I wish you all the best.
Jayne Ellis
Founder and Director - EF training

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ellis.php

2 posts