Is prostate cancer genetic?

If you have questions about prostate cancer or PSA tests please post them here for our experts and charity partners to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:45 am

Is prostate cancer genetic?

My father-in-law has recently been diagnosed and is being treated for prostate cancer.

Does my husband need to worry about this? Should he be having checks and if so how regularly?

Thanks.
Anna
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Jonathan Makanjuola

by Jonathan Makanjuola on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is prostate cancer genetic?

Yes there is genetic risk factors but depends on the the ago of his fathers diagnosis

If his father in this 50s when diagnosis was made they yes there could be an increased genetic risk in addition if you husband has bothers and they are diagnosed with prostate cancer is risk is high too.

If is father is much older when diagnosed then the genetic risk is less but he can still go to his GP and request a PSA blood test if he is concerned if he is above the age of 40.

there are no clear guidelines on PSA screening -if a man does have increase risk , like family history (explained above) or is a black man , I would suggest annual PSA check and prostate exam, but this is my own advise not set guidelines
Jonathan Makanjuola
Consultant Urologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... njuola.php

2 posts