My son ezcema

Post your questions about eczema here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Nadziieee

by Nadziieee on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:52 am

My son ezcema

My Son has atopic Eczema but this has gone far and beyond what it should be. Been dermatologist been discharged twice. Only the face is not disappearing. What can I do

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Re: My son ezcema

Dear Nadziieee

I'm sorry to hear that your son is suffering with eczema. As you may well know eczema is chronic condition with no cure. Depending on the age of your son he may well grow out of it as many children do. However I can appreciate that during the years where is he is suffering with eczema it can be a difficult time.

Eczema is waxing and waning and patients will often have flare ups, often from no obvious trigger.

The most important factor in eczema is regular use of moisturizers. This needs to be done 3-4 times a day along with avoidance of soaps and fragranced products.

If the eczema is predominantly on the face then depending on the age of your son this can occasionally be due an allergy - such as perfumes, pollen, or other products that may be in contact with the face. Sometimes allergy testing can be beneficial- you can discuss this with your dermatologist- of course this may or may not be suitable for him. Oral antihistamines used regularly will help as will short courses of mild topical steroids.

With the cold weather (i'm assuming you live in the UK) and the heating being turned on in the house I find that this time of year many patients will attend my clinic with dry, itchy skin and eczema exacerbations. Therefore it is vital that the use of moisturizers is increased and the heating is only kept on for as long as is really necessary.

I hope that helps.

Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist
Insta Dr_adilsheraz
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts