Dupilumab

Post your questions about eczema here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
katieohla

by katieohla on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Dupilumab

Hi - I have both eczema and chronic idiopathic urticaria, currently talking Methotrexate and fexofenadine. I’ve recently started talking Dupilumab too, my dermatologist is hoping Dupilumab will sort out my eczema and urticaria, as at the moment it seems the Methotrexate isn’t working anymore. Do you have any studies on whether Dupixent is effective for treating both eczema and chronic urticaria combined? Or whether this drug mainly targets eczema. Alternatively, whether Xolair treats eczena as well as urticaria? Which one is better to treat both conditions? Thanks!

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Dupilumab

Dear Katie

Thank you for your question.

I hope that the Dupilumab is working well for your eczema. There are no real studies to show that it is effective against urticaria. However there have been studies demonstrating that patients on dupilumab have had less asthma exacerbation and also a decrease in IgE level (the causative factor of Urticaria).

The main target for dupilumab is of course eczema however time will tell for you whether it has any impact on the Urticaria.

A recent small study looking at 9 patients (2017) with severe eczema treated with Omalizumab showed that around 50% of patients showed good response with improvement in their eczema and around 37% showed no response. Omalizumab is of course not licensed for eczema and therefore this was an off label study.

In term of which one is better- I guess you really need to evaluate which conditions affects you the most. Hopefully with either drug you may see an improvement in both conditions.

I hope that somewhat answers your question.

Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist
Insta Dr_adilsheraz
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts