Eczema and sleep

Post your questions about eczema here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Roberta12

by Roberta12 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:39 pm

Eczema and sleep

I've had eczema my whole life (21 years) and it has recently flared massively. I take vitamins daily, I drink lots of water, I eat healthily and I exercise. I feel like I'm doing everything I should be but its so sore and tight and dry that I can hardly move my neck, nothing seems to moisturize it. It's only recently started disrupting my sleep and I'm not sure what else I can do for it. I bought a humidifier and it doesn't seem to be helping, I wake up uncomfortable hot and bothered having scratched half my skin off!!!! I use emollients daily and have tried CBD oil but I can't help but feel a little helpless now. I am also steroid free 6 months.

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Eczema and sleep

I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering. I think your case demonstrates so well that even if you optimise all of the environmental factors, there is often part of eczema which is intrinisic within your skin. The itch you are getting suggests there is significant inflammation within your skin. You mention that you are steroid free, but not why. Many people can be safely and effectively maintained with steroid creams and can recapture quality of life, without getting any side effects. I think you need an active ingredient such as a steroid to treat the inflammation. If you have struggled with steroids before, I would advise seeing your doctor to discuss topical calcineurin inhibitors or even alternatives such as light therapy.
I hope that helps.
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts