AR treatment for atopic eczema

Post your questions about eczema here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
sheila_m75

by sheila_m75 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:11 pm

AR treatment for atopic eczema

The Aron Regimen (AR), pioneered by Dr Richard Aron of South Africa, is improving the lives of eczema sufferers around the world. The National Eczema Association in the US invited Dr Aron to speak at their #EczemaExpo18 event this summer, a clinical trial is currently being carried out in South Africa and Dr Aron has featured on news reports in several countries around the world due to the success of his treatment.

Yet, in the UK, the NHS and the National Eczema Society seem to shun the AR. Why do you think this is and what do you think can be done to change it?

If it’s about lack of clinical evidence (which would filter into the NICE guidelines) then how should this clinical evidence be obtained? There is not much money to be made for pharmaceutical companies from the AR because it uses medication already available and makes patients BETTER so that they need less medication than before. So who could fund the research required? It could save the NHS a fortune!

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Re: AR treatment for atopic eczema

Hi there,
I am certainly aware of Dr Aron and of his positive reputation. I have witnessed firsthand people who have been to see him.

In my opinion, his actual treatment regimes and his approach don't differ that greatly from what those of us who have a lot of experience and an interest in eczema, do in the NHS.He uses a combination of creams, but we certainly use these ingredients on a very routine basis. I think Dr Aron, as a private doctor, is excellent at supporting and following up patients on a more regular basis than is sometimes possible in the NHS due to the caseload.

I have a lot of respect for the work Dr Aron does and certainly in our department, we are very keen to hear his experiences. However, we actually have excellent outcomes with eczema, but often within the NHS these outcomes are not widely publicised in the press or social media.

In terms of funding for clinical trials, there are a number of independent funding bodies who support clinical trials on the subject of eczema - NIHR, BSF, UK DCTN.

I hope that reassures you that a lot of NHS departments are already doing a great job with eczema, but also that we are happy to listen to many other stakeholders.
best wishes.
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts