Returning to work after maternity leave

Post your questions about work/life balance here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Returning to work after maternity leave

I will be returning to work in the new year following maternity leave. Prior to leaving I used to work longer hours than I should have done and I'm really concerned about how I'm going to maintain a good work/life balance now that I have a baby and won't want the pressure of having to stay late. This is starting to give me quite a bit of anxiety but I have no choice currently than to return to the job I left. Belinda
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Jayne Ellis

by Jayne Ellis on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Returning to work after maternity leave

Hi Belinda,

Congratulations on becoming a Mum its a great job but comes with a lot of challenges!

I really hope that you have a very understanding boss as I'm going to suggest that the first thing you do it that before you go back you go to him/her and talk about how you are feeling. Try and make a plan and set some boundaries around your work life so that you don't feel guilty when you go home on time. You will still feel guilty but it really helps if you know they are on your side. Write down what you want to say so you don't get sidetracked and make it clear that this isn't forever but a short/medium term plan which of course will change as your child gets older and your childcare arrangments change.

The only other thing you can do it set your own expectations of yourself realistically, please don't be too hard on yourself if you don't feel like you are doing it all perfectly. Many children are brought up by imperfect parents (ask mine!) who do their best! Also get a good team around you and tell them what you need from them especially your partner and any childcarers you have and friends and family. You are not on your own and at times like this its ok to lean on your support network they may all need you at some point. Take a bit of 'me time' each day even if its just a bath or a walk as this will keep you sane and coping and try to take one day at a time and not worry too much about what might happen.

I wish you all the best on your journey as a Mum, its great fun as well as hard work.

Jayne
Jayne Ellis
Founder and Director - EF training

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ellis.php

2 posts