Amelia and eczema.

Post your questions about your child's skin conditions/problems here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Veniepie

by Veniepie on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Amelia and eczema.

My daughter has had Eczema from birth.

I wasn't fully supported. Offered some cream. Not really advised as per nice guidelines as to application etc. Spent the best part of her first year trying to manage her condition myself. When I could no longer cope went back to GP. Was referred to dermatology. The dermatologist Amelia is under barely looks her way or at her skin and doesn't give the time we are supposed to be receiving. We literally have 5 minutes in with him. We have seen other dermatologists within the team as emergencies when we have had serious problems like eczema herpeticum. Even then the team is very rushed and anything past 5 minutes and they are clock watching. The crux of my question is. Amelia has had issues getting garments she was prescribed at hospital. The garments prescribed aren't suitable for wet wrapping. They are called Clinifast. Another type we have purchased are fine. How do we get the dermatology team to listen when outlet next appointment is with her usual dermatologist who barely looks her way or gives her 5 minutes of his time? Amelia skin flare up without viscose garments and we currently have to use Clinifast to dry wrap and cannot confirm to dermatologist suggested treatment of wetwrapping as it has been so hard getting her prescription of Clinifast so to get it changed will to next to impossible and I don't fancy going to the CCG again. What is it I can do to make sure they are treating my daughter correctly?

pennydog

by pennydog on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: Amelia and eczema.

I think firstly I would advise that you tell your dermatologist that you are struggling with your daughters eczema and need him to spend a little more time talking to you..he needs to be aware that you are not satisfied with your consultation. It's very important that you have a good rapport with the dermatologist for you to come away and feel supported.
There are various brands of viscose suits and some wear a little better than others. None of them however last more than 6 weeks so it is imperative that your GP helps here with prescriptions. You need 4 suits to be able to do wet wraps, this enables you to have a spare set. They really are a very good treatment to control difficult dry eczema so I suggest you speak to your GP and maybe ask him to prescribe Comfifast suits if the Clinifast ones aren't lasting

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Re: Amelia and eczema.

So sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you have had.

I would also advise the Comfifast vest and leggings brand as an alternative, as outlined by the helpful response below.

Good luck and best wishes.

Emma Wedgeworth
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

3 posts