Multiple allergies

If you have an allergy question that doesn't fit with any of the topics below, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jenb2611

by Jenb2611 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:48 pm

Multiple allergies

I am seeking advice, following many years of being treated for ibs and hay fever, I found myself requiring antihistamines year round for ongoing breathing difficulties and skin outbreaks- mainly hives and eczema. In addition I was taken unexpected reactions when eating food purchased in restaurants or prepackaged sandwiches or salads. I was initially referred to a Dietitian but the exclusion diet exacerbated my problems as I was directed to eat brassicas which seem to be a trigger. Last year I was referred to dermatology and underwent patch testing, with positive results for Balsam of Peru, Nickel and Cobalt. I have been told I have contact allergies, urticaria and eczema and food triggers. This does not fully explain to me why I am reacting to products others are wearing like perfume or scented hand sanitizer or body lotions- I find coconut products a real trigger. I am now on 540mg fexofenadine, 15 mg Xyzal, 10 mg montelukast, Piriton as required plus lotions. I have had 3 anaphylactic attacks since August 2018 so have 4 auto-injectors. My uvb treatment has been stopped due to continued hives outbreaks which leave me tired, sore and miserable. I am missing lots of time off work and would like advice about my options- are there tests or treatments which could give full answers or solutions? I control my diet in accordance with the avoid list, limit exposure to chemicals, follow prescription guidelines and don’t know what else to do.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Multiple allergies

Thank you for your question. I am so sorry to hear about your skin troubles!

For hives/urticaria - a biologic injection called Omalizumab can be very helpful. For dermatitis it is important to avoid identified allergens as you already do but in addition stronger medications like azathioprine, ciclosporin and a newer drug - a biologic injection can be very helpful.

I hope this is helpful.

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

Jenb2611

by Jenb2611 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Re: Multiple allergies

Many thanks

3 posts