New allergies

If you have or suspect you have a food allergy, whether it's an allergy to dairy, wheat, fish, shellfish, nuts or something else, ask our medical experts all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Hopalongkp

by Hopalongkp on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 pm

New allergies

I am increasingly developing new allergies, they start off with lumps in my mouth with slight lip swelling , the next time I started to wheeze and cough so now I have to try and avoid except it's getting harder.
It looks like I'm starting to react to spices such as cumin ,turmeric and finding it quite hard to avoid them. Are my reactions likely to continue getting worse or can I get away with taking an antihistamine and still eat them in moderation?

Di Graham

by Di Graham on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Re: New allergies

Based on my own life long problems I find it best to avoid them OR take time out from them then reintroduce them to your diet gradually in small quantities If you 'feed' the allergies by continuing to eat things which don't agree it's harder for your body to cope and get back to normal. Make sure you're well hydrated (lots of water). That'll help too.I find exercise helps--a brisk walk/whatever..

Dr Kate Swan

by Dr Kate Swan on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Re: New allergies

Hello. I would suggest that you ask your GP to refer you to an allergist to take a full clinical history about your symptoms and triggers and to then do targeted testing if indicated.
Dr Kate Swan
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... e_swan.php

3 posts