Atopic eczema

If you are an adult with allergies and have a question for our experts, please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
ianc

by ianc on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Atopic eczema

I have been diagnosed with atopic eczeme and have been given creams and steroids over the years to treat it, I am in control of the problem. However I have noticed that I seem to have a problem with tap water,I think this is the cause of some of the issues. When I shower the water stings my eyes, in the corners near my nose. I currently live in E Sussex but have found that in different parts of the country the water does not cause a problem, the dryness of my skin eases considerably in a matter of days. Its even better when I go abroad.
I would like to treat the cause not the symptoms so how would you suggest I could do that?

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Re: Atopic eczema

'hard' water can irritate your skin; quality/hardness of tap water varies depending on region; there is not much you can do about that but you can use more mositurisers; if you have conjuncitvitis (imflammation of the surface of the eye) water of any 'hardness' can potentially irritate your eyes ( it is not an allergic process though)
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

2 posts