Breathing problems related to an allergy?

If you are an adult with allergies and have a question for our experts, please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am

Breathing problems related to an allergy?

I want to ask this question on behalf of my husband.
He is 61 years old. From Scotland and we live in Birmingham.
Like six or seven months ago, he started to have breathing problems. First, his GP said it was like Asthma because when he was a child he was asthmatic. But then with age the attacks disappeared. Doctors have done tests in his heart and lungs. Everything is fine. Then, he found out that it was more difficult to breath when he was anxious. He is taking medication for anxiety. He has been less anxious but the breathing problem has not disappeared. GP says that it could be an allergy. To what? Food or something in the air? Can this breathing problem be caused by an allergy?
Any help would be appreciated.
Beatriz
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Jenb2611

by Jenb2611 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:56 am

Re: Breathing problems related to an allergy?

It would be worth asking for an allergy test, one of my early symptoms was random breathing difficulties when in work or certain social situations. I could be fine then someone new enters a room and I’m away. It’s useful to keep track of when and where his breathing worsens. Also reduce chemicals in the home - tobacco smoke, air fresheners, scented candles etc. I use a steam cleaner or damp cloth for dusting. Also reduce scents - eg try not to use perfume, hair sprays, spray deodorant etc.

2 posts