What is the best way to protect my mole?

Post your questions about skin cancer and moles.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:35 am

What is the best way to protect my mole?

Hello,
I have a mole on my scalp just above my ear, which I have had checked by my GP who has no concerns about it. It’s flat, dark, and 5mm in size but no bother. My question is what is the best way to keep this protected? I forgot to ask my GP this question. Understandably wearing a hat in hot weather is my best option, but can you get specific suncreams for hair etc? I’m a female with quite long hair as well. Sorry if this isn’t the correct email address to send this type of question too, if you have an email address for an appropriate website I’d be happy to forward this on. I just didn’t know where else to look. Thanks in advance.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:41 pm

Re: What is the best way to protect my mole?

Thank you for your question. To answer your question you should protect your mole in the same way as you protect the rest of your skin. This is because the risk of melanoma or another skin cancer developing within a preexisting mole is the same as the risk of a new skin cancer developing in skin without a mole. Therefore you should treat your moles in the same way as you treat the rest of your skin.

Clothes, such as broad brimmed hats, long sleeve shirts, long trousers and long skirts are an excellent sun protection measure. A high SPF factor sunscreen is another way to protect your self from excessive UV radiation. Go for at least SPF30 (I personally use SPF50), reapply often especially after swimming. I like Sunsence made in Australia but there are other very good sunscreens too - the most important is SFP number. Avoid sun light between 11 am and 3 pm and if possible avoid direct sunlight, especially between 11 am and 3 pm.

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts