Bleeding during smear test

Ask our experts all your questions about smear tests, abnormal smears, cervical cancer etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:41 am

Bleeding during smear test

I am a lady of 61 years of age. Just after Xmas i had a smear test done. Which is every 5 years now for my age. The nurse at my surgery who did my smear does other clinics like diabeties.

I told her beforehand i had had 2 children with third degree tear's, and that I thought I did not need a large sized instrument. (Speculum). It hurt inside at the top inside like crazy. And I told her, so she re-inserted it , still hurting, took the swab then removed it saying to me that I had had a small bleed. I was upset. I personally thought she had snipped me inside.

Then 2 days ago in 1st March, 2019, I received 2 letters. One from my surgery and the other from the laboratory saying that not enough cells/sample were taken, and to re-book the smear test in about 3 months time once my body has replenished its cells back.

I do not wish to go back to this nurse so spoke to a lady doctor this morning and voiced my concerns. There is another female nurse i can book in with. But will I end up in the same pain again a second time around. As I have no pain internally when having intercourse, and no bleeding at all.

The nurse told me the pain I had suffered was due to the skin going thin as you get older.
Is this true?

Thank you, Fiona
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Debby Holloway

by Debby Holloway on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Re: Bleeding during smear test

it can get more painful to have cervical screening as the walls for the vagina can get thinner after the menopause. i would suggest booking an appointment with the other nurse to talk about your concerns, sometimes you can use hormone creams or pessaries for a few weeks before the cervical screening so that it is not so painful but it is beast to speak to the nurse or doctor about this.

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/about-cervi ... -screening
kind regards
Debby Holloway

2 posts