Debilitating Skin Condition on Palms and Soles Only

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
SteveB44

by SteveB44 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Debilitating Skin Condition on Palms and Soles Only

Hello,

The skin on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet has deteriorated to the point where I can't walk, hold or pick anything up. I have no skin problems on any other part of my body or any other symptoms. I have seen multiple doctors, tried multiple medicines and drugs, and even extremely strict dietary changes. Skin tests have returned negative results on fungal and infection (microbiotics?)

The skin is dry, brittle, flaky, painful and itchy all of the time. Any contact with anything is extremely painful, even just a light splash of water. I can't go anywhere or do anything, sleep is very hard, and I have been suffering from this for over a year. Some drugs/medicines I have tried have made things worse, most have had no effect at all.

I welcome further questions and suggestions - thank you.

Steve

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 pm

Re: Debilitating Skin Condition on Palms and Soles Only

Dear Steve,

I am so sorry to hear about your skin problem! It sounds as if you might suffer from hand/feet eczema. The first step, if it has not been done yet, would be to add a super potent corticosteroid ointment such as dermovate ointment and continue with a greasy moisturising ointment. If it is not enough a new oral medication called Toctino usually works really well and this can be prescribed by your dermatologist.

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

SteveB44

by SteveB44 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Debilitating Skin Condition on Palms and Soles Only

Dr. Alexandroff,

Thank you for giving your time to this clinic and responding to my post. I have already tried super potent corticosteroid ointments (without success), and am currently taking high dosage Prednisolone, which doesn't eradicate the problem, but lessens the condition a little and takes the edge off the pain for a few days.

Toctino I was not previously aware of, but will ask my GP/Dermatologist when I next see them.

Thank you once again for your time and attention

Steve

3 posts