Skin tags

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Pearl1957

by Pearl1957 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Skin tags

I just keep being told skin tags come with age with no explanation why other women my age do not have them or action to be taken to prevent them. Very distressing when on my neck as self conscious of them as some as very tiny when wearing open necked tops.

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Skin tags

Dear Pearl

Skin tags also known as fibroepithelial polyps or acrochordons are benign growths of the skin mostly comprised of collagen. Unfortunately the exact cause remains unknown. However they do seem to occur more frequently in areas of chafing or where there is friction. Also there are links to being over weight and potentially being diabetic.

Treatments that work include cryotherapy (freezing with liquid nitrogen), surgical excision or electrocautery. Some of these may be available at your local GP practice, however as they are harmless unfortunately treatment on the NHS is often not available.

I hope this helps although I realize this is not really the answer you were hoping for!
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts