Eczema

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Eczema

I have eczema on the fronts of my lower legs. My Doctor gave me some moisturiser and steroid cream for a patch on my chest which cleared up but I do not have any more and wondered if you knew what would help especially with the itching.

I know the fact that I am 82 makes it more usual to have it but this is the first time I have ever had it.
Jill
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sarita Singh

by Dr Sarita Singh on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: Eczema

Eczema can occur in adulthood for the first time and is worse in people who have generally dry skin, which is more common in older people due to a reduction in the amount of natural moisturisers within the skin. Eczema on the lower legs is sometimes precipitated by poor circulation or varicose veins (venous eczema). I would recommend that you see your GP to get a short course of topical steroid to specifically treat the legs. If you have varicose veins then you might benefit from compression stockings. You should use an emollient that contains either colloidal oatmeal, liquid paraffin or urea at least twice a day (face and body) if you suffer from eczema. You should also use a soap substitute or fragrance-free oil when washing, as normal soaps and shower gel can worsen dryness. The most important thing is to keep your skin very well moisturised in order to reduce flare-ups.

I hope that you find this helpful
Dr Sarita Singh
Dr Sarita Singh
Consultant Dermatologist & British Skin Foundation Spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _singh.php

2 posts