British Skin Foundation - Elderly/Older Skin

Moderator: talkhealth

Sore skin under bust

Postby SUSIEWOO on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 pm

The skin under my breasts gets very sore on a regular basis. This happens all year round not just in the summer when it's hot. Sometimes it's just a little itchy but sometimes the skin looks very sore and the skin seems to be oozing and smells. What can I use to treat it and is there a way to prevent it?
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:19 am

Re: Sore skin under bust

Postby Dr Sarita Singh on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:27 pm

It sounds as if you are suffering from a condition called candidal intertrigo, a yeast infection that commonly occurs at this site in older women. Management of intertrigo includes 2% ketoconazole shampoo to wash skin for four weeks, then once weekly as maintenance (leave on for 5 minutes then wash off in the shower). You can buy this over the counter. An antifungal powder is effective as prevention - try and maintain a cool and moisture-free environment. In severe cases, tablet treatment can be prescribed. Diabetes can predispose you to this condition so get your blood sugars checked by your GP.

I hope you find this helpful
Dr Sarita Singh
Dr Sarita Singh
Consultant Dermatologist & British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
User avatar
Dr Sarita Singh
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest