skin aging faster than it should?

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
scratchalot

by scratchalot on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:13 am

skin aging faster than it should?

My husband and I are the same age, 70. However while his body skin is smooth and springy, mine is dry and baggy and crepey, and I have skin tags in every fold even on my neck which makes me feel ugly and dirty. We are both long time vegetarians with a pretty healthy diet, yet I seem to be aging much faster than he is, with so many furrows and wrinkles on my face I feel self-conscious about being out in public. I always used to look young for my age but the last few years I seem to be aging much more rapidly than I should. How can I slow this rapid decline and maybe improve my skin condition? I use lotions when I can but I am not tolerant of warm rooms (unavoidable at work), and sweat off any lotions or creams really quickly so it is hardly worth the bother, and wearing lotions at night can trigger an asthma attack. What can I do to improve things?

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Re: skin aging faster than it should?

Thank you very much for your question. Did you use to get a lot of sunlight and do you smoke by chance ? Both can make skin to age prematurely. Moisturisers are very important. Generally greasier moisturisers (ointments ) work better but if you do not tolerate them it is better to use less greasy moisturisers (creams and lotion) rather than none at all. It is also very helpful to wash with moisturisers. For instance you can take a small amount of epaderm or cetrabene ointment (or similar) and lather it under water - it becomes soapy - it washes your body and moisturises it at the same time. After this topical retinoids creams and laser treatment can help (both can be done by your dermatologist).

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

scratchalot

by scratchalot on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:10 am

Re: skin aging faster than it should?

Thanks for replying. I do not smoke, and I only got a lot of sun when I was a child, as I burn, as soon as I got to my teens I avoided the sun. I cannot tolerate greasy creams. I don't know where to find a dermatologist, if they are private practitioners I could not afford one. I also will not use anything tested on animals, so can you suggest anything else? My husband got much more sun than me as he spent many years in Africa, and he still gets more sun than I do, yet his skin is good while mine looks dreadful. Any more suggestions? I am embarrassed to be seen out now, especially as I have alopaecia as well.

3 posts