Dry itchy patches on my body

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Mark.pullen

by Mark.pullen on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 am

Dry itchy patches on my body

I keep getting very dry itchy parches of skin on my legs, belly, feet, and my arms. I have tried using moisturisers like E45 and creams like Diprovate, they seem to go for a few days then return worse than before. After a few more days they go and I don't get them again for a few months. I'm a 56 year old type 1 diabetic and my sugars are not always perfectly controlled. It becomes very uncomfortable to sleep at night when they flair up.

Dr Sarita Singh

by Dr Sarita Singh on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Re: Dry itchy patches on my body

Your description would fit with eczema, which can present as recurrent dry and itchy patches. Eczema can occur in adulthood for the first time and is worse in people who have generally dry skin. I would recommend that you see your GP to get a short course of topical steroid to specifically treat the patches when these occur.
In terms of emollients, you can buy one over the counter (or prescribed by your GP) that is specifically suited to eczema-prone skin. These usually contain colloidal oatmeal, liquid paraffin or urea. You should moisturise at least twice a day (face and body) if you suffer from eczema. You should also use a soap substitute or fragrance-free oil when washing, as normal soaps and shower gel can worsen dryness. Gently pat your skin dry after washing and apply the moisturiser immediately as this helps to lock in moisture.

All the best
Dr Sarita Singh
Dr Sarita Singh
Consultant Dermatologist & British Skin Foundation Spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _singh.php

2 posts