varicose eczema on legs

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am

varicose eczema on legs

I have varicose eczema and have been using Doublebase Cream on my legs...I recently went on holiday..and one of my socks stuck to my leg and brought skin off and I had to see nurse and get it dressed..
Doctor has now prescibed Cetraben plus Betnovate for itchiness..
Also I have started to wear support stockings..which feel alright apart from been tight under my knees..
My question is..which is the best cream to use on my legs..can you please advise me.

Linda
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Re: varicose eczema on legs

Hi Linda,
Sorry you are struggling with this, it's a really nuisance and unfortunately I see it very frequently in clinic.

I think Cetraban is a very good emollient. You can also use it as a wash, because if you have dry skin, using soaps and shower gels will dry it out even more. Then Betnovate can be used for red, itchy patches. I would advise you use it intermittently - ie for 5-7 days at a time and then aim to stop and use as and when. Again, Betnovate is a good option, so I think the team at your Practice have done a good job.

Compression is absolutely key in maintaining varicose eczema. Compression stockings are a good place to start, but if you're not managing to fully control it, speak to your doctor about higher grade compression.

I hope that helps!
Best wishes.
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts