Rash

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
mrsmorgan

by mrsmorgan on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am

Rash

I’m 57 year old white female and over the last 5 years I’ve had a rash appear on my face 3/4 times a year. It starts with a tingle and within 40 minutes my cheeks are covered in blisters with red scaly edges which burst to form yellow scabs. As it happens so quickly and tends to fade away in 5/7 days I have not been able to present to my GP when it first appears, hence at a loss to know what it is. I’ve been given cream for rosacea which didn’t help and aciclovir tablets to take when it flares, which is too late. After each bout my skin is left with broken capillaries which is affecting my life and confidence.

Your advice would be appreciated.

I have photos but the size is too big for this post.

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Rash

Sorry to hear you are struggling with this.

It's difficult to give you an exact diagnosis from your description and it strikes me that you need to see a dermatologist, who can listen to your story and your pictures and maybe do some tests.

It comes on quickly and heals relatively, so I think the viral infection thought, for which you were given aciclovir is a good one. Rosacea doesn't tend to come and go so quickly, although the broken capillaries would fit with that. My other thoughts are a sun-related eruption, drug reaction or potentially even something you are coming into contact with.

As a baseline, I would advise very gentle skincare and good sun protection and then seeking a dermatologists opinion.
I hope that helps.
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts