Page 1 of 1

Flat moles which sometimes bleed

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm
by Di Graham
I'm nearly 75 and have a few flat moles, of varying size, on my upper chest neckline, which aren't too attractive but don't give me any bother. However, I have one which looks like it's about to peel off on one side. I have to be careful not to catch the edge otherwise it bleeds a bit. Would it be wise to have this removed? If one had this done privately what should one look for in terms of people qualified to do it ( other than my GP/local hospital)? Thank you.

Re: Flat moles which sometimes bleed

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:43 pm
by Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Hi there, any concerning mole like lesions should always be checked out in a timely fashion by a doctor. However, from your description, it sounds like you have seborrhoeic keratoses.

I would advise you see your GP to confirm this and they can direct you towards a local dermatologist.

Good Luck!

Re: Flat moles which sometimes bleed

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:56 pm
by Dr Sarita Singh
These lesions sound very much like seborrhoeic keratoses based on your description. These are benign warty lesions that increase in number as you get older. Sometimes they can become itchy, inflamed or catch on clothing. I would recommend that you visit your GP just to make sure that the bleeding lesion you describe is indeed a seborrhoeic keratosis. If so, this can easily be removed by freezing it off with liquid nitrogen (cryotherapy) or shaving it off under local anaesthetic. Your GP should be able to recommend a good private Dermatologist in your area. I would recommend somebody who is a member of the British Association of Dermatologists (BAD).

Here is a link to a patient information leaflet on seborrhoeic keratoses, which you may find helpful: ... keratosis/

All the best
Dr Sarita Singh

Re: Flat moles which sometimes bleed

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 pm
by Di Graham
Thank you Dr's Emma and Sarita for that advice. Confirms what I suspected.
Regards, Di Graham