slow healing open wound on foot

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
emblaze1

by emblaze1 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:46 pm

slow healing open wound on foot

I am a 64year old male who is active and in good health. I have a open wound on my top bunion joint width wise about the size of a 1p piece and slightly elongated this was caused by a bad blister after a 30ml walk in early Feb. The wound dermis has now healed as the blister went into the dermis and filled the space in the last 4 weeks. It is a healthy pinkish red with slight watery yellow discharge on dressing, the wound edges appear white and slightly raised against the healed dermis and I have been told by the nurse and Doctor it will heal from the edges and cover wound (epidermis layer) but it has not started yet to close the gap. I walk at the moment in socks and sandals with the strap raised above the wound so not to make any contact but am presently only walking when I need to. . Wound currently dressed with iodine patch to prevent infection and silicone absorb dressing as given by surgery nurse.
Is there anything else I can do to speed recovery of wound and should I be worried about the wound edges being white and not appearing to be closing the wound over the last 2/3 weeks?

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Re: slow healing open wound on foot

Hi, Sorry to hear about your wound. Unfortunately, wounds on the lower leg or foot can take some time to heal, because the blood drainage from the veins is sluggish from this area. You are absolutely right to have seen the doctor and practice nurse and if the yellow discharge gets more, see them immediately to make sure there is no infection. Make sure you elevate your leg as much as you can. Hopefully it will start to heal, it sounds like you are doing all the right things. But if it doesn't show any improvement, discharges more or starts to get more red,inflamed and hot, see your GP. Good luck
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts