Repeated UTIs

Post your questions about female urology here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Repeated UTIs

I am getting repeated bouts of cystitis which lead to a more painful UTI with pain in my kidneys. My doctor doesn't seem to take it seriously and keeps prescribing antibiotics which solves the problem only temporarily. Last time I went I was getting really bad pains in my back (kidney area) and after examining my back, my doctor just said the pain couldn't be as bad as I'd said because I'd managed to get to the surgery!

I am concerned because when I get this type of UTI I can't sleep properly and feel wiped out the next day, which is difficult as I'm in the last year of my degree and studying for my finals, so I can't afford to have time out of Uni.

What other help is out there? Is there anything I can do with my diet that might help? Can I ask my GP for a referral to a gynaecologist? If so, how long do you think the referral will take? I'm at my wits end and it's really getting me down.

Thank you.
Jo
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Mr Ased Ali

by Mr Ased Ali on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:02 am

Re: Repeated UTIs

Often with recurrent or chronic UTI, the underlying problem can be a degree of bacterial persistence which needs treating with a decent, extended course of antibiotics. However, there can be other causes for recurrent UTI and so often patients should be investigated with at least a a urinary tract ultrasound and often it is also recommended that you have a telescope examination (cystoscopy) of the bladder. It's worth bearing in mind that there are other bladder conditions that can mimic the symptoms of UTI.

For prevention of recurrent or chronic UTI, there are number of treatments including: supplements like D-mannose, various types of preventative antibiotic treatments, vaginal oestrogen (for post-menopausal women), methenamine hippurate (a urine sterilising agent), UTI vaccines and bladder washes / installations. Most urologists can help with these and you could ask your GP to refer you.
Mr Ased Ali
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ed_ali.php

2 posts