Weeing

Post your questions about female urology here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
HHBBNN54

by HHBBNN54 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Weeing

I find I get up normally 2 hours after going to bed for a wee and often again during the night. Sometimes it just pours out before I get there and I end up having accidents. Also during the day sometimes as soon as I see the toilet it starts to leak and often it is too late. I am not taking anything for it. I drink quite a bit of water during the day.

Mr Ased Ali

by Mr Ased Ali on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:48 am

Re: Weeing

It sounds like you probably have overactive bladder (OAB). OAB is where a person regularly gets a sudden and strong desire to pass urine. This sensation is difficult to put off and this can happen at any time during the day or night, often without any warning. Sometimes it can result in leakage.

Things you can do to help yourself are:

Control what you drink
There are number of drinks that may irritate the bladder such as caffeinated drinks, carbonated drinks, drinks containing aspartame (an artificial sweetener found in diet drinks), hot chocolate, green tea, alcohol, blackcurrant juice and citrus fruit juice.

Control how much you drink
People with OAB are advised to think carefully about their fluid intake. Aim to drink about 1-1.5 litres a day; you can adjust the amount you drink according to your need; being thirsty is a guide that your body needs water. So if you are exercising, or in a hot climate, then you will be sweating and losing water, and
therefore you will need to compensate for that. If you are getting up at night to pass urine, then try to reduce your fluid intake in the evening, four hours before going to bed. Avoid caffeine and alcohol before going to bed.

Bladder Training
The purpose of bladder training is to help you to regain control of your overactive bladder by suppressing its contractions. Instead of rushing to the toilet as soon as you get the urge (strong desire) to pass urine, it is important to try to hold on. If you have difficulty doing this, try to distract yourself by doing something else such as sitting on your feet, crossing your legs or sitting on a rolled up towel. You should aim gradually to increase the time interval between passing water. Start by passing urine every hour on the hour whether you need to go or not from when you get up in the morning until you go to bed at night. Try hard not to void outside your set times. Practice this for 3-4 days. When you feel you have mastered this,gradually increase the time between voiding.

If these measures aren't effective, then there are other options including medication, bladder injections and bladder nerve stimulation that can help get on top of your symptoms.
Mr Ased Ali
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ed_ali.php

2 posts