UTI

Post your questions about female urology here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
garden02

by garden02 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 pm

UTI

I have been getting a lot of water infections in the last few years and I currently have a kidney infection due to my last infection not clearing up. I take cranberry vitamins which has helped a small bit, but is there anything else I can take to prevent getting these infections?

jackiep3

by jackiep3 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Re: UTI

I had the same and was referred for a camera into the bladder to see what was going on. It turned out they could not get the camera up the Urethra as it was so narrow and I had to have day surgery to widen it. Hence I was not emptying my bladder fully so causing problems. I have had no problems since and there was no pain when I woke up/pee'd. Good luck.

Mr Ased Ali

by Mr Ased Ali on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:18 am

Re: UTI

D-Mannose is a useful 'supplement' that can help prevent recurrent UTIs.

Often with recurrent or chronic UTI, the underlying problem can be a degree of bacterial persistence which needs treating with a decent, extended course of antibiotics. However, there can be other causes for recurrent UTI and so often patients should be investigated with at least a a urinary ultrasound and often it is also recommend that you have a telescope examination (cystoscopy) of the bladder. It's worth bearing in mind that there are other bladder conditions that can mimic the symptoms of UTI.

For prevention of recurrent or chronic UTI, there are number of treatments including: various types of preventative antibiotic treatments, vaginal oestrogen (for post-menopausal women), methenamine hippurate (a urine sterilising agent), UTI vaccines and bladder washes / installations. Again, most urologists can help with these.
Mr Ased Ali
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ed_ali.php

3 posts