Uti symptoms but no infection?

Post your questions about female urology here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
debragundry

by debragundry on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Uti symptoms but no infection?

Hello. I have had recurrent uti symptoms but when a pee sample is sent off it comes back clear.i frequently need to pee and when I wipe myself there is blood sometimes there. I often get cystitis and feel like there is a brick on my bladder that constantly aches. I have a couple of kidney stones in my left kidney and passed one a few years ago. Getting really fed up. I now have a constant pain in my upper right back and can feel a lump.

Mr Ased Ali

by Mr Ased Ali on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:24 am

Re: Uti symptoms but no infection?

Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) symptoms but with "negative urine cultures" is a common problem. It's been known for years that standard urine cultures miss a lot of genuine UTIs and most urologists are well aware of this. An interesting paper published by a group at Loyola University (Chicago, USA) in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology in 2016 demonstrated that when compared with more sensitive techniques "standard urine culture missed 67% of uropathogens overall and 50% in participants with severe urinary symptoms".... So the chances are, when you think you have a UTI, you probably do! The Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) recommends treatment based on symptoms.

Having said that, given your symptoms of recurring blood in the urine, I would strongly recommend that you have a telescope examination of the bladder if you haven't already had one and in relation to your back / loin symptoms, a urinary tract ultrasound should also be carried out. It's worth bearing in mind that there are other bladder conditions that can mimic the symptoms of UTI and these include overactive bladder, painful bladder syndrome and even abnormal growths in the bladder (bladder tumours). So well worth seeing a Urologist!
Mr Ased Ali
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ed_ali.php

2 posts