Colonography

If you have any bowel or IBS questions that don't fit into the topics below please post them to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
gmmorris41

by gmmorris41 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Colonography

I recently underwent this procedure. The received hospital information pack declared that sedation was unnecessary, as muscle relaxant was always given.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. As the gas was inserted, I experienced almost intolerable discomfort, for which I was totally unprepared given the prior assurance written.

I can understand that a daily conveyor-belt of procedures without sedation allows more patients to be treated with less waiting, but imo the degree of discomfort arising can be unacceptable.

(I should add that the lab staff were otherwise excellent).

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: Colonography

Hi,

Apparently it's rare to experience pain when having a colonography - hence the lack of sedation. Unfortunately it sounds as though you were one of the unlucky ones.

I recently had a sigmoidoscopy for which I was offered sedation and turned down in favour of gas & air, as I didn't expect the procedure to be too painful. Unfortunately it was, & I wished I'd accepted the offer of sedation!

If you ever need a similar procedure again I'm sure you'll refer to your previous experience and ask if you could be given sedation.

With best wishes.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

gmmorris41

by gmmorris41 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Re: Colonography

Wendy - the point is that it seems to me that sedation is avoided because of the attendant protocols which demand the various costs and constraints of patients requiring a bed for an hour or so afterwards, and thus bunging up that conveyor belt.

Perhaps the answer is a stronger or greater amount of muscle relaxant. Either way, I really cannot believe that my experience is unique, since I have had several colonoscopies in the past with no problem.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, and perhaps others will comment.

3 posts