Bowel Cancer Screening

Post your questions here on bowel cancer here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
DisneyPrincess26

by DisneyPrincess26 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 am

Bowel Cancer Screening

I lost my Dad to Bowel cancer in October 2016, he was 53. I am always worried that it will happen to me but obviously screening in Wales is not until you are 60. Is there any chance I can be screened early because it can run in the family? I will be 28 in May

Dr Jamal Hayat

by Dr Jamal Hayat on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:54 am

Re: Bowel Cancer Screening

Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your dad and it is only natural to think about your own risk - particularly given his young age at diagnosis.
The number and age of family member affected with bowel cancer is taken into account when planning surveillance with colonoscopy. The population screening which you mention is for the national bowel cancer screening programme. Currently there are guidelines published by the British Society of Gastroenterology which recommend a surveillance colonoscopy at age 55 when one first degree relative is affected at less than 50 years. This may seem unusual but it is because the relative risk is still pretty low at a young age. If you have more than one relative affected this will change the age to start screening.
There a number of genetic conditions which also increase the risk of bowel cancer - so it may be best for you to see your GP to get a referral to the regional genetics service - they will then get a detailed family history and recommend any screening accordingly.

KR,
Jamal Hayat
Dr Jamal Hayat
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _hayat.php

2 posts