Overweight and back pain

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

20 posts
JB1987

by JB1987 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Overweight and back pain

I'm about 7 stone overweight - I get really bad back pain, and pains in my knees - I'm sure being over weight must have a bearing on this? Anyone else who's over weight get similar problems? JB

Felicity Star

by Felicity Star on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Overweight and back pain

Hi - you may have read my post under 'can anyone help'. I too am overweight and prior to my situation now where I can hardly move I've suffered with back pain which I've just 'lived' with. The doctor has said that my recent problems have certainly not been helped by being overweight and I do now wish that I'd made more effort to keep my weight under control. In addition I think it's important to strengthen the back. So many people I've spoken to say that pilates has really helped this. Maybe you could look into some classes and see if this helps? Unfortunately it's a bit too late for me. However as and when I start getting my movement back I will certainly be looking at this.

mikejamesjhm

by mikejamesjhm on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:21 am

Its highly important to maintain an balanced body weight. Obesity has been one of the major reason nowadays that leads to back pain. Plan for an diet that is free from fats and workout daily it will result in reducing your body weight.

john0208

by john0208 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Hello Friends,

This is John here new to this site. hopefully i will get latest and updated information here.
Last edited by admin on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: URL's promoting products / services not allowed in our forums - removed. See forum rules.

chickamoo

by chickamoo on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:51 pm

It is really hard to keep weight under control when you are living with pain, try to turn it around because i feel it is more a mental problem than a physical one, it is way to easy to eat too much OR eat the wrong things.....I live this life too but.....i watch what I eat BECAUSE i have a back problem....i constantly think about what i eat and yes....i still have pain but i think I'd have more pain if I allowed myself to get heavier AND keeping an eye on my weight allows me to focus on something more positive than the never ending saga of wondering why i'm in so much pain, what I did to cause it, what i should or might have done....it brings you down so.....to cut a long story short ( too late) re focus on something more positive.x

healthcare2

by healthcare2 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Modern life can make it easy to eat and drink more than we realise and do little physical activity. The result is often weight gain.
To lose weight, we need to change our current habits. This means eating less – even when eating a healthy, balanced diet – and getting more active.

Nellysierra12

by Nellysierra12 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:44 am

If you feel the extra weight around the mid-section is pulling your pelvis forward, in that case being overweight can create stress on the lower back.
It is true that overweight people are more susceptible to back pain.

Nellysierra12

by Nellysierra12 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:17 pm

kevinkrieger wrote:Keep your weight under control . Do walking and bicycling and eat healthy diet. Include calcium and vitamin D in your diet. Try to stand with your knees slightly bent, and place one foot forward to take pressure off the lower back and reduce back strain.

This should help.

Helen.Evan

by Helen.Evan on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:06 am

very ironic because back pain makes exercise very difficult...and lack of exercise can cause back pain...and excessive weight will cause more back pain...very frustrating

20 posts