Ongoing pain in upper arm/shoulder for 2 months

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
kdrymer121

by kdrymer121 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Ongoing pain in upper arm/shoulder for 2 months

Hello -

I am new to these forums and hope this is the right place to post this.

I am a 33 year old male, and since early December I have had this dull pain in my upper left arm/shoulder area, as well as a burning sensation in my left wrist.

Let me backup a little. Early in December (before this all started) I had cut my left middle finger while cutting up meat. It bled pretty good, but I didn't think too much of it. I put isoprophyl alcohol along with neosporin and applied a bandage to it and left it on for 4 or 5 days before removing. Shortly after I started noticing some numbness in my left hand, more specifically, my pinky and ring fingers. I thought that there was possible some inflammation from my cut, however, from my understanding, the middle finger is part of the Median nerve, whereas the numbness I was feeling in the pinky and ring fingers is part of the Ulnar nerve.

The numbness then turned into a pinching type sensation at my elbow (where the ulnar nerve passes, a.k.a funny bone). It felt as if the nerve at this location was being compressed. This was probably 2 weeks after the day I had cut my finger, which still may have nothing to do with what I'm experiencing now but it's the only thing that occured before this all started.

I went to a walk-in clinic where they looked at my hand and arm and didn't see anything abnormal, they said that my cut seemed to be healing well, but because I was still having these symptoms they put me on an antibiotic for 10 days and a mild dose of Prednisone for 5 days. This did not really seem to make much improvement.

The clinic also referred me to a Orthopedic hand surgeon, which I had an initial appointment where they ordered an EMG and nerve conduction study on my left arm and hand. The results of this testing showed my nerves were all normal and no issues were noted on the report.

Fast forward to today, it has been almost 2 months since this first occured and since the beginning of the year I've had this dull type pain in my left upper arm and at times the warmthness/slight burning sensation in my wrist. From some research I've done, there are some possibilities of the upper arm pain, but I can't seem to find any other cases where there is pain in the upper arm AND the above sensation felt in my wrist, and how these two things may be related to each other.

I have made an appointment to see my Primary Care provider to discuss with other testing can be done, but I was just looking for other's feedback who may have experienced something similar. Thanks in advance!

Cosmediskin Lisa

by Cosmediskin Lisa on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:36 am

Re: Ongoing pain in upper arm/shoulder for 2 months

Hi there have you tried massage? Perhaps the tendons or nerves need some manipulation or the blood flow is caught up because of this and keeps releasing intermittently?

2 posts