Lichen Sclerosus

Post your questions about lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Kyriacou

by Kyriacou on Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Lichen Sclerosus

I was first diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus when I was 22 years old and I had suffered for many years, I am 53 now. I am not able to use anything apart from water to wash and I would have really liked to use products as I feel that water is not enough. Can you please recommend some products that would be safe for me to wash in my intimate area and not trigger off another Lichen Sclerosus attack.

Also I have that worrying nagging concern that Lichen Sclerorus would turn to cancer. Can you also clarify that please. Thank you very much.

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Re: Lichen Sclerosus

I understand your wish to use something other than plain water to wash with – some people just never feel properly ‘clean and fresh’ unless they have used something on the skin when washing.

Because LS-affected skin is more ‘sensitive’ or less resilient to the normal stresses and strains that skin is subjected to, the usual advice is to avoid soaps and detergents when washing the vulval skin. The main thing is to avoid anything that could irritate the skin, as this may make the skin uncomfortable and can sometimes provoke a flare of LS. Some un-perfumed washing creams that are fully rinsed off can be tried, but it may be a process of trial and error to find one that suits you. A plain cream emollient (moisturiser) that you will find in a pharmacy can often be used as a washing cream. You apply to wet skin and then rinse off afterwards. The skin should be dried carefully and gently after washing, and then you can apply a bland moisturiser thinly to add a layer of protection to the skin surface.

Be careful when washing the hair with shampoo and conditioner in the bath or shower, as these can get trapped in the folds of the skin if not rinsed off fully.

I have talked a bit about skin cancer in LS in the answer to another question, so I hope that answers the things that were concerning you.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts