Can Lichen Planus develop into Lichen Sclerosus?

Post your questions about lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Frances489

by Frances489 on Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Can Lichen Planus develop into Lichen Sclerosus?

I've had Lichen Planus on my vulva for approximately 4 years and, after receiving treatment from an excellent dermatologist, am managing the condition. Since being discharged from the dermatologist's care I have had two flare-ups which I treated, successfully, with Dermovate. I only wash with Dermol 500m Lotion and apply Hydromol after every visit to the toilet. I check fairly frequently, as the dermatologist advised, but wonder if you could tell me if it is possible for it to develop into Lichen Sclerosus.

Also, there seems to be a mixture of views as to the cause of Lichen Planus. Is it an auto-immune condition?

Thank you.

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 am

Re: Can Lichen Planus develop into Lichen Sclerosus?

Thank you for your question.

I'm glad that you were able to see a dermatologist and are managing your condition well.

There has been debate in the past as to whether these two conditions Lichen Planus (LP) and Lichen sclerosus (LS) are part of a spectrum of a similar condition. However it is now thought that they are two distinct entities. In LP the mucous membranes, including the vagina and/or mouth are affected which is not the case in LS.

It would be unlikely from LP to develop into LS. It is however possible to have both conditions co-existing at the same time. This would be unusual however not impossible. You would need an examination from an experienced dermatologist and occasionally a biopsy is needed to confirm LS.

Lichen planus is an inflammatory condition and although the mechanisms of what occurs in the skin is relatively well understood, the cause however remains elusive. It is thought to be an auto-immune condition.

I hope that helps.

Adil
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts