British Skin Foundation - Lichen Sclerosus

Moderator: talkhealth

Can Lichen Schlerosus strike any age?

Postby MrsMoppy on Mon May 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Just that really. I have had intense feminine itching for 2 years (to the point where I think setting my bits on fire would be a welcome relief). Had all the usual swabs done etc, all come back fine, no infection. Had usual treatment with antifungals etc. GP referred me to hospital. I was told by the Gynaecologist that it can't be LS as I am "too young". I didn't even have my trousers off at this stage. I'm nearly 40 by the way and did start periods early (age 8).

They did the test with the acetic acid over the vulvar to show up any cancerous changes, and I was told it was fine. Given some dermovate and sent on my way.

The Dermovate does help, so does that mean that it is LS, or can Dermovate help with other conditions on the vulva. Surely its not normal to wake up itching like crazy or dream of meetings to be over so I can scratch myself to get some relief? I try not to but it just takes over my life. GP did blood tests and suggested I take vitamin D, but it has made no difference.
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: Can Lichen Schlerosus strike any age?

Postby Dr Adil Sheraz on Tue May 14, 2019 11:35 am

Thank you for your question.

Lichen sclerosus is an itchy and often sore condition that can affect both male and female genitalia. It is more common in post menopausal women however a number of cases are seen pre- menopausal women and even in children. There is often a delay in diagnosis.

The features to note are ulcers, fissures, sore red areas and pale white patches, bruising and a change in the way the vulva appears.

Dermovate is a potent steroid and is often the treatment of choice in active lichen sclerosis, however other conditions such as eczema or lichen planus will also respond to dermovate.

Itching within the genital region can of course be very problematic and embarrassing. I would suggest that you would benefit from an opinion from a dermatologist, to ascertain whether this is eczema or another condition. The treatment regimes for differing condition will vary.

I hope that helps.

Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)
User avatar
Dr Adil Sheraz
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest