partial hysterectomy and cervical screening

Post your questions about cervical screening here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm

partial hysterectomy and cervical screening

I had a partial Hysterectomy in 1987. Some time later I asked the doctor if I would need a cervical screening test in the future and his reply was 'I've never been asked this question before' and he didn't give me an answer. I have been reticent to ask any doctor since, so would like to ask this now. Do I need to undergo a cervical screening test, please? I should add I am now 70yrs old, am in my 8th year of remission with C.U.P. My tumour was wrapped around the appendix, rt ovary and fallopian tube, so during the operation they removed both ovaries etc. However, over and above that tumour was an old abscess with multiple adhesions all around my abdomen and this was removed. I now have lots of scar tissue everywhere causing sometimes severe pain.
Thanks
Cheryl
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Fiona McCarthy

by Dr Fiona McCarthy on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Re: partial hysterectomy and cervical screening

Following a partial hysterectomy (where the cervix is left intact), you would have needed to continue on regular cervical screening with smears until the age of 64. As you are now 70, you would not be eligible for cervical smears as part of the UK screening programme. As cervical cancer develops so slowly, it is highly unlikely that women over 64 who have been regularly screened will go on to develop the disease. However, If you are unsure of your previous smear results or when your last smear was, it may be best to book an appointment with your GP to clarify.
Dr Fiona McCarthy
MB ChB MRCP (Med Onc) PhD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... carthy.php

2 posts