Pain during smear test

Post your questions about cervical screening here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:22 am

Pain during smear test

I have a retroverted uterus and this causes problems each time I have a smear test. I had last week and it was agony and they don't think they took enough cells due to the pain I had. This is putting me off having any more done at the GP surgery and wondered if any advise on what I need to do or who else can do the smear as cannot go through the pain again like last week and they are certain I will have to have it repeated.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Fiona McCarthy

by Dr Fiona McCarthy on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 pm

Re: Pain during smear test

This is a very common issue and one that many women find distressing. It is worth informing the person doing your smear (whether it be your practice nurse or GP) in advance that you find the procedure extremely uncomfortable-either ring or email the practice to inform them. You can also ask the receptionists to book you a double appointment with the practitioner so you won't feel rushed when you do go for your smear. Many GPs or practice nurses who are experienced at doing smears have tips for patients who find them very painful. Examples include asking patients to put their hands underneath their bottoms or to cough as this helps with positioning. You could also ask for a smaller speculum if you are very uncomfortable with the regular sized one. As you can see, there are several different things you can do that may help make the experience more comfortable and I would urge you not to put off the smear if you do require another one.
Dr Fiona McCarthy
MB ChB MRCP (Med Onc) PhD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... carthy.php

2 posts