Is there a less invasive way to screen/test?

Post your questions about cervical screening here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
zoeleeds

by zoeleeds on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Is there a less invasive way to screen/test?

I'm high risk of developing cancer, I've always known this. Sexually active and pregnant at a young age, have PCOS (that no-one ever checks on), family history of cancer of the uterus, had abnormal changes detected in my 20s (which did resolve naturally but involved a few re-checks, which was trauma in itself). Screening is always extremely painful and causes deep distress. I have had panic attacks and had to cancel whilst in the consultation room before. I got my invitation letter months ago but have had to psyche myself up. I am booked in for one next week ...although that doesn't necessarily guarantee it will go ahead. On balance I usually take my chances with cancer rather than go through the trauma of screening. Is there a way to screen/test women without the pain and the psychological trauma that so often goes with the current method (particularly when women have so much difficulty with intimacy and sexual activity they don't even have intimate relationships)?

Stamatina Iliodromiti

by Stamatina Iliodromiti on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Is there a less invasive way to screen/test?

Unfortunately there is no blood test that can test for abnormal cells. You may have heard of the HPV test that is being implemented as the primary test in some areas of the UK but still involves taking cells with a brush from the neck of the womb. There are some self kits that involve taking cells from the vagina rather than the neck of the womb, but they are not used by the NHS as we don't know how accurate they are. I would suggest you take some Paracetamol and Ibubrufen (if you are not allergic) one hour before the smear test and this may help with the discomfort of the smear test.
Stamatina Iliodromiti
Honorary Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... romiti.php

2 posts