cervical screening + contraceptive implant

Post your questions about cervical screening here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
CrystalBlue

by CrystalBlue on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:31 pm

cervical screening + contraceptive implant

I'm on my 3rd cycle of the contraceptive implant - I've been really lucky that my periods stop during this time (apart from very occasional spotting).

However, since my first cervical screening in February, I have started having periods again (the last two months, a very "standard" period) but also, I have been irregularly bleeding too - not particularly heavy, more so the darker red blood that happens near the end of a period and this can last a number of days at a time before just stopping.

I just wanted some advice - should I expect this as I'm aware there's no guarantee the contraceptive implant will always stop periods... or should I enquire further given it's a significant change for my personal menstrual cycle?

Thank you :)

Stamatina Iliodromiti

by Stamatina Iliodromiti on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Re: cervical screening + contraceptive implant

Having periods and irregular spotting after your first smear test is a coincidence rather than caused by the smear test per se. I would suggest to see your doctor as there is a significant change in your bleeding pattern to rule out other causes which are not worrying and can be easily treated such as excess tissue (polyp) or a raw area around the neck of the womb (erosion). If there is no other underlying cause then it is probably hormonal and related with the fact that the implant can be associated with irregular bleeding/spotting.
Stamatina Iliodromiti
Honorary Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... romiti.php

2 posts