Persistent acne on face

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 am

Persistent acne on face

[quote]I'm emailing on behalf of my son who's 25. He did not have acne as a teen, but for the last 2 years has had persistent acne on his face which never seems to clear (cheeks and forehead, towards the hairline). We have tried gentle remedies such as tea tree washes/lotions etc, but they persist.

He no longer lives at home, and isn't great at visiting the GP (like most young men!); he has had 3 heart ops (two balloon catheter ops as a baby for Pulmonary Stenosis, and one open heart valve repair when he was 12) and still has annual checks, with a further possible valve repair in future.

I know he should be careful about infection due to risk of endocarditis, but we are perplexed about these persistent spots - could it be a low-level skin infection, and if so should he try antibiotics please?

I attach a photo (he won't thank me!) but you can see the acne I describe … as I say, it has persisted for around 2 years. I hope the panel can give me some advice to pass to him ...

Thank you./quote]
Attachments
acne 2.jpeg
acne 2.jpeg (54.64 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:50 am

Re: Persistent acne on face

Thank you for your question. This looks like acne. I would suggest to see your dermatologist to consider Roacutane.

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts