Motivation

Post questions regarding health eating here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Lara J C

by Lara J C on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Motivation

I'm supposed to avoid certain foods due to intolerances, autoimmune thyroid, and gut/digestive issues. For the most part I manage this, but I do sometimes give into cravings for sweet things, partly due to low mood / low cortisol = comfort eating. This means I don't get properly better. But I really struggle with the prospect of endless months of really healthy eating. What are your suggestions to support my motivation?

Ali Mortimer

by Ali Mortimer on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:04 am

Re: Motivation

Hi Lara
Firstly, well done for recognising that you are 'comfort eating'! When you acknowledge that, it can be easier to take some action.
Cravings are usually a sign that our body is missing something; it could be food (a lack of a specific nutrient), or it could be something more of an emotional void that we are trying to fill. Are you able to connect with that craving and determine what the route of it is?

I have recently been diagnosed with some intolerances (dairy, nuts etc) and my son is Coeliac. We have become good at finding healthy / suitable alternatives. If you are missing sweet things, depending on your intolerances, you could try eating more sweet healthy foods such as sweet potato, apples with nut butter and there are lovely fresh peaches this year!

In terms of your comment around the prospect of endless months of healthy eating, are you able to elaborate more? Do you feel that healthy food is bland? or it is too much hard work? If you would like motivation or inspiration to eat and cook healthy food, many of the Health Coaches post recipes and ideas on their social media pages which you can get for free; or you could invest in some really good recipe books. I love Amelia Freer and Madeleine Shaw as they both show how to eat healthily, without missing out on delicious food or treats!

I hope that helps you - but please do get back in touch if you have more questions / comments.
Ali
Ali Mortimer
Holistic Health & Happiness Coach (IIN)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... rtimer.php

Lara J C

by Lara J C on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:35 am

Re: Motivation

Thank you, that's helpful, I'm feeling inspired!

I find that refined sugar is quite addictive, and there is also a psychological link with past experience of treats and positive experiences being chocolate, cake etc. But I will try and break that cycle. However I'm hoping that I will eventually be able to have occasional traditional treats again. Do you think I'll overcome my intolerances (I didn't used to have them)?

I'm not a natural lover / adventurer of vegetables and plain food. But I will try harder, maybe adding herbs etc for flavour.

3 posts