Constant shoulder pain

Post your questions on chronic pain here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
froggylady

by froggylady on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:21 am

Constant shoulder pain

Hallo team,
Seven years ago I broke my shoulder, dislocated it and sustained nerve damage. Steroid injections helped until about three years ago when a scan disclosed post-traumatic arthritis. I take 4/6 Codeine Phosphate and 4/6 Paracetamol tablets per day depending on the level of pain. I tried physiotherapy but it didn't relieve the pain. This recent high humidity doesn't help either. What are my options and is there anything I can do to lessen the constant agony and discomfort? Thank you in advance for your help and advice.
Sandy

Fran McElwaine

by Fran McElwaine on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Re: Constant shoulder pain

Hi there Sandy,

Chronic pain is very hard to live with and can be extremely debilitating, and I feel for you.

Anything you can do to lower inflammation will be very positive for you. A diet high in fruits and vegetables and low in sugary carbs will help to lower systemic inflammation. You may also wish to consider supplementing with turmeric which is very effective as an anti-inflammatory. Also, upping the amount of Omega 3 fats in your diet by consuming oily fish (Salmon, Mackerel, Anchovies, Sardines and Herring) will help to lower inflammation as well. You may want to ask your GP to check certain nutrient levels. Low levels of Vitamin D can definitely contribute to pain in the fascia, ligaments and muscles around injured joints, an insufficiency in B Vitamins can heighten our perception of pain and low levels of Magnesium can result in muscle spasms and knots, which would certainly contribute to pain levels.

Let me know if you have any further questions and wishing you a full recovery,

Fran
Fran McElwaine
AFMC, CHHC - Functional Health & Lifestyle Coach

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... lwaine.php

2 posts