Oesophagitis,sliding hiatus hernia & PPI's

If you have a question that doesn't fit into the above headings please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Maggielou

by Maggielou on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:52 am

Oesophagitis,sliding hiatus hernia & PPI's

How safe is it to continue taking 20mg daily of Omeprazole for my Grade 2 oesophagitis and hiatus hernia? I am concerned as have been on this medication since November 2017 when I had stopped the medication completely but dreadful symptoms of reflux and chest pain were so severe that has my thirs endoscopy.

Fran McElwaine

by Fran McElwaine on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Re: Oesophagitis,sliding hiatus hernia & PPI's

Hi there Maggie,

The best person to ask about your prescription and its safety is your prescribing physician or GP. Having said that, there are a number of things you could consider to really help to alleviate your symptoms. These suggestions may sound very simple, but you will be amazed at how small, simple things like this can make a very big difference!

Firstly, I would like to suggest that you make time to eat in a manner that allows you to sit down and focus on your food in as calm and relaxed a way as possible. What happens in our mouth when we eat is the only conscious part of the digestive process and it is very important. Eating in a calm state allows the digestive process to happen, rather than blocking it - if we are constantly 'eating on the go' or on the phone or standing up while we are eating, this sends signals to our body that blocks the production of the proper digestive juices and also diverts blood flow away from out GI Tract which slows down our digestion.

Secondly, chewing food properly is really important. This mixes the food that we eat with the enzymes in our saliva which start the process of digestion. Well chewed food is less stressful on the stomach and is more easily digested. Chewing also triggers the body to prepare for food which means you can process it properly.

Finally, avoiding foods known to cause inflammation - such as sugary and processed foods - will help alleviate your symptoms. Oesophagitis is an inflammatory condition and anything you can do to lower inflammation will help alleviate the symptoms. So, whilst sugary foods (including alcohol) will make your symptoms worse, bitter foods (like lettuce, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables) will be very anti-inflammatory for you. Other anti-inflammatory foods include oily fish and colourful fruits and vegetables.

In addition, you may want to ask your GP to check certain nutrients. Low levels of Vitamin B12 and Magnesium can definitely contribute to digestive issues and it is worth having these checked out.

And finally you may want to consider some very healing foods that are excellent for stomach health. Aloe Vera Juice which is very soothing and healing for the stomach (even though it tastes pretty bad!) is also very anti-inflammatory. Also, probiotic foods such as sauerkraut, kefir, kimchi etc have a very beneficial affect on our gut-health.

With very best wishes

Fran
Fran McElwaine
AFMC, CHHC - Functional Health & Lifestyle Coach

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... lwaine.php

2 posts