hair loss linked to early menopause?

Post your questions about hair loss/alopecia here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
rae10000

by rae10000 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm

hair loss linked to early menopause?

Hello

I have been loosing my already fine hair in droves recently. I have always suffered with hair loss but not like now.

I have recently been diagnosed that I have been through an early menopause. My more significant hair loss seems to be tied in with this. I am also taking sandrena 1% hrt (estradiol).

If you have any tips on how I can manage this (mine are as basic as not washing my hair as often or brushing my hair as frequently) I would be so grateful.

Many thanks

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: hair loss linked to early menopause?

Hello,

Many thanks for your query and sorry to hear you are experiencing more recent worsening hair loss. For sure menopause is related to hair shedding and diffuse thinning in many women. The relative rise in male hormones (androgens) and drastic decline in oestrogen that happens in menopause both contribute to the problem.

HRT can sometimes (but not always) help to reduce the amount of hair loss. Minoxidil topically can be used to help thicken hair with continued use over time and some trichologists are able to provide combinations of minoxidil with anti-androgens as a topical solution which may also help. Occasionally doctors can prescribe other medications off license to help work against the rise in male hormones.

From a hair grooming/cosmetic perspective it is about choosing the right products to suit your hair type. If you have fine/limp hair then it is important to choose products that do not contain silicone which imparts shine but has a tendency to weigh down fine hair. The frequency of hair washing will not affect the rate of hair loss. Washing it less frequently will simply mean more hairs will come out at the next wash but also your natural oils/sebum will add weight to your hair. Brush choice is important - tangle teezers are good to reduce the amount of trauma when combing hair. Also keeping heat and chemical styling to a minimum are all helpful to reduce the cumulative damage to your hair over time, keeping the individual strands as healthy as possible.

It is also important to work with a good hairdresser to explore hairstyles that make the most of your hair aesthetically - for example keeping fine hair short, adding layers etc can all help create more volume.

Best of luck and I hope you manage to find some solutions to help with your hair.

Sharon
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

rae10000

by rae10000 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Re: hair loss linked to early menopause?

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it and will ask my GP at my next visit.

3 posts