All my hair has fallen out over my whole body

Post your questions about hair loss/alopecia here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:38 am

All my hair has fallen out over my whole body

At the end of June my hair fell out over my whole body including, eyebrows, nasal and ear hair (it doesn't seem to be regrowing).

I have my first NHS consultation with Dermatology in mid September, what should I expect from this appointment? Are there any questions recommended to ask?

My GP didn't even look at my scalp and gave me no advice when making the referral.

Thanks, Julie
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:59 am

Re: All my hair has fallen out over my whole body

Dear Julie,

I am so sorry to hear about your hair loss. It sounds like alopecia areata alopecia. Hair may grow back without treatment but the latest advice is to treat this alopecia to reduce risk of hair loss in future.

In your case diphencyprone immunotherapy for scalp and eyebrows sounds like a correct treatment. It is available in selected NHS and private hospitals and I provide it in Skin55 (London) and Nuffield Health Hospital (Cambridge). There is also a new oral treatment available off licence privately (tofacitinib). It is also expected to become available on NHS when it gets a licence to treat alopecia areata.

I would suggest during your appointment to ask if you can have diphencyprone immunotherapy.

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts