Forehead milia

Post your acne related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Lara J C

by Lara J C on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Forehead milia

Hi. I get regular milia on my forehead, particularly on the right side, and in the hairline. Do you know what this area means? I find retinol cream (off the shelf) keeps them at bay. Is this the best solution?

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Forehead milia

Hi Lara

Thank you for your post and question. Milia are small, bump-like cysts found under the skin. They are usually 1 to 2 millimeters (mm) in size. They form when skin flakes or keratin, a protein, become trapped under the skin. Milia most often appear on the face, commonly around the eyelids and cheeks, though they can occur anywhere. Milia is not associated with acne.

You have asked the question on an acne post, so just to explain that closed comedones ( known as whiteheads) are classified as mild acne. Comedones are the skin-coloured, small bumps (papules) frequently found on the forehead and chin of those with acne. Closed comedones are whiteheads; the follicle is completely blocked. Open comedones are blackheads; black because of surface pigment (melanin), rather than dirt.

A recommended treatment for both milia and closed comedones is retinoid cream, which can be used long term, so this is the best solution for you. I hope this is helpful.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

2 posts