Hypertototic excma

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
flowergirl

by flowergirl on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 am

Hypertototic excma

Being diagnosed with hypertotopic excma on both my feet, it causes me great pain sore and unable to walk far, my feet split and bleed which is embarassing. I was given a course of steroids, and other medication that didn't work. Once diagnosed after several biopsies i was given methotrexate tablets which didn't work. I know have methotrexate injections weekly followed next day with a folic acid tablet.
My feet are still in a mess and regular visits every 3 months. I've suffered for over three years , please could you recommend anything else.
My feet are always painful, i get swollen ankles also.

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am

Re: Hypertototic excma

Unfortunately methotrexate is a medication that can take a number of weeks (sometimes months) to start working at any one particular dose. I am sure your supervising dermatologist will be guiding your treatment so that if you are clearly not responding to methotrexate despite being on a high dose, other medications will be discussed with you and considered as an alternative. In the meantime you could also try using the topical steroids under occlusion with bandaging whilst still being on methotrexate, if this hasn’t been tried already.
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts